Okay, so I’m not actually hallucinating…but I could be.
I am now 33 weeks preggers with our 2nd bundle and our first (little Miss Paige) is turning 2 years young in 2 weeks. Not exactly sure where the last 2 years have gone but they seem to have whizzed past like The Flash (Marvel Comics).
This amazing miracle of a little boy (to be named James) growing in my belly is head-butting my insides so darn hard that I wake up at all hours, literally in pain. When he does his signature right hook punch, my belly bulges at such an odd proportion that it looks like something from a sci-fi movie is about to burst from the side of my abdomen. It is actually quite freaky. He has been ‘sitting’ much lower than his big sister did at this stage and my hips & pelvic bones feel like they are going to shatter when I get up in the morning, and don’t even get me started on the sudden increase of loo visits during the night – I’m pretty sure he does his own rendition of Lord of the Dance on my bladder.
I remember being a bit pooped towards the end when I was pregnant with Paige, but it is quite different this time around. I am SO TIRED all of the time!
I wake up in the morning (after a restless night of re-positioning and loo excursions) feeling what I can only describe as death warmed up, get dressed, pull myself together, slap on some make up, and a little more to cover up the bulk-buyer shopping bags under my eyes, pack a lunch then off to work. I yawn all through the day, while doing my best to get through the daily deadlines I have given myself so that I am on track to hand-over when I go on maternity leave at the end of Feb (fear sets in at how soon that is). Routine for hubby & I in the evenings (with weekends being a little more lax of course):
- Start: around 17h30-18h00
- Heat Paige’s dinner (I bulk cook this once a week and freeze in portions)
- Paige sort-of-feeds-herself while I start our dinner and Terry feeds the dogs, and then between us we attempt to help Paige finish whatever she has flicked out of her bowl onto the table and in her hair etc
- Terry bathes Paige while I continue with our dinner and lay out her pjs etc
- Terry attempts to dress Paige in aforementioned pjs
- scenario 1 – while she streaks up the passage and jumps onto her/our bed to hide between the pillows in a fit of giggles and then lies happily for Terry to nappy and dress her (20% of the time)
- scenario 2 – while she streaks up the passage and Terry has to get her out from under the dining table, pick her up and put her on her bed while she kicks and screams and thrashes around like a fish on a hook (80% of the time)
- We eat dinner
- Heat bottle for Paige
- Chill time together
- scenario 1 – Paige sits with us quietly with a book or soft toy and slowly relaxes to the point where we can put her to bed calmly and peacefully (anything from 5-20 minutes)
- scenario 2 – Paige leaps on and off of our laps, finds the one noisy toy that we missed during evening pack up, proceeds to bang it on the table and the couch and our heads, drops it on the floor, starts to cry because she dropped it and it is now lying one step away from her, leading to a tantrum of dramatic proportions, we ignore her and let the tantrum run its course until it boils down to a simmer, one of us scoops her up to calm her down until she eventually chills out and falls asleep (anything from 10 – 90 minutes)
- Terry and I start watching a series that we previously recorded but then probably fall asleep, wake up long after it is over, go shower, then go to bed.
- Repeat the next day
I am truly so excited for the arrival of our little James, but oh my heck I am also petrified. Paige is a busy toddler now and wow she can be hard work, and very soon we are going to have 2 to care for. When I was preggers with Paige there was no one else to care for so I could relax and have a nap if I needed to. And after she was born I could occasionally catch up on ‘Zzzz’s’ while she slept during the day. How does one catch up on sleep with 2 little monkeys on different eat, sleep, poop schedules?
I know people have been doing this since forever, and I regularly remind myself that it will be fine, we can totally do this – BUT, my social life, personal grooming standards and time for myself to do hobby stuff and blogging are basically non-existent already, what is going to happen when there are 2 rugrats streaking up and down the passage after bath!
Seriously though, we made the choice to start a family, and I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever. My amazing husband helps with everything that needs to be done around the house, and with Paige duty so I cannot even begin to complain. These little buggers that we sacrifice so much for – I can’t imagine my life without them.
So we will just remind ourselves every now and then that “we made our bed, so now we must sleep in it”…or not, it depends on how soon baby James starts sleeping through the night.
(long, loud yawn)